Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How to pick your World Cup team

These days in Ramallah, much of life seems to be revolving around the World Cup. I am loving every moment. J One of the most hilarious parts of the World Cup is how to choose a team. Particularly among Palestinians here, it is a conversational process that takes many twists and turns.

Algeria was the only Arab country represented in the Cup this year, and even they were not supported widely in the Arab world (especially in Egypt – please don’t ask). ;) After they so sadly lost to the good old US of A, there is absolutely no team with close ties to Palestine, at least geographically. So who to support?!
Take, for example, a debate I heard over Argentina. “Great team, but there are so many Jews in Argentina. And so many Argentinian Jews in Israel. Plus, isn’t Maradona a Jew? Yes, he dealt drugs. But he changed. He is an amazing cheater. But he has charisma! Maybe, but most Israelis support Argentina, it was proven in a poll. So if they lose, more Israelis will be sad. We should cheer against Argentina.”

Amazing logic, right? I love it. Also, Ghana. Ghana is controversial because in the 2006 World Cup, a player from the Ghana team took out an Israeli flag at the end of a winning match, waving it around. Supposedly, the player has a lot of fans in Israel, so he was thanking them. In any case, it caused a major uproar, and this year most Palestinians remembered this and were hesitant to support Ghana. However, someone else pointed out to me that Ghana does have 3 Muslim players. So perhaps it is still okay to cheer for them. J

Well, I certainly can’t criticize anyone for their logic in the World Cup. I’m supporting Germany just because my family is half German, after all. J I also have something against Brazil, ever since I saw them come to Egypt and beat Ahly 7-0, after which all the Egyptians were so happy! (sigh) Oh, Egypt. No loyalty. Just because Ronaldinho was playing.

Well, that’s the logic of picking your World Cup team. Whichever agrees with your politics, or makes your enemies sad, or shares your heritage. Or just makes you happy.
On that note: GO GERMANY!!!!  J

4 comments:

Antonia said...

can you imagine if your people take on my people for the cup??! go ORANGE!!!

Jenna Magee said...

alas, now I have no people :( but, I'm thinking about cheering for the Netherlands after this... just to spite all the Spain fans :)

murad said...

what about the song:

Give me freedom give me fire GIVE ME REASON take me higher....

When I get older I will be stronger
They’ll call me freedom
Just like a wavin’ flag

Wooo hooooo hohohohoooooo

Darin Zeidan said...

Jennaaa did u cheer for Netherland yesterday ;p hehehehe