Monday, May 19, 2008

fantasy adventures and california dreams

so lately all I can think about is escape. my inspiration is Prince Caspian, the daring Telmarine prince who gave Narnia back to the Narnians. it's his fault that I feel this way!! I never should have gone to see that movie......

something about fantasy literature/films makes me want to escape. I want adventure!! and I suppose to many people my life has already held quite a bit of 'excitement' - many new places, new people, new experiences. but I haven't fought enough real battles yet.

and now, to follow my mood, I want to go to grad school in California. because it seems to fit me better - and I think I need some wildness of ocean, trees, sky and open space to keep me sane in this world. especially as I yoke myself to a grad school program that will 'shape' me into some sort of leader. i'd like to keep some of my sanity along the way.

I need to breathe the salty sea air, and run so fast that I forget about everything else, and drive fast along mountain highways. california may not be perfect, but it would come close.

however, I do notice that my last post was about Ramallah, and this one is about California, and I don't like talking about the place where I currently live -- it's called Washington, DC, if you hadn't heard. the halls of power and all that. quite overrated really. and a strangely depressing place, despite the beautiful trees, parks, and the well-kept government buildings. it's definitely a depressingly realistic and ambitious place.

I think I should try to live a bit more presently, and enjoy DC while I can. it isn't so bad, I guess. at least the weather is warm and I'm living with Kimmy!

but, adventure calls. I just hope I get the chance to have one.

No comments: